Wednesday, March 11, 2015

the clay pot against the iron pot

A little while back I was asked why my book was more expensive in my shop as opposed to on Amazon. It is a good question. It is a fair question. I tried to answer it in an illustration. How else?
It is an issue that faces all of us that run a small business. There's no way of competing with the big guys, no way at all, there is no point in trying. But we do have an advantage over them and that is the service we give.
I am not making big bucks off my book, hell, I forgot to even mention, in this illustration, that I have to buy my book off my publisher in the first place - as well as the currency conversion and bank charges that that entails too. That's before the, above, process even begins. No, I'm just scraping by. Always just scraping by.
But when you do buy from a small business or independent seller/artist you are also supporting them in creating their work. Thank you for that. I really don't mind where people buy my book from. It is an honour that they do buy it at all.  
I'm glad I was asked this question. It's an important one and it gave me the chance to try and answer it. Quite coincidentally, I was chatting with my publisher, whilst I was in the middle of this drawing, about the price issue when he said "in French we say 'le pot de terre contre le pot de fer'. It's a kind of  David and Goliath" and that's how this drawing got the title.

4 comments:

helenlp said...

Great post making a really important point Andrea!

Noel R. said...

It's so true! It's a crime that small business people aren't given more consideration. I've recently purchased some of your zines, and when I buy your book, I'll definitely do it from your store!

Anonymous said...

Really good illustrated explaination! Although I do use Chapters/Indigo when pressed, I was SUPER happy to get my Etsy order from you personally. Oh, and please put me on the list of advertisers for the next teeny tiny zine. I still have to buy it, just read about it now - but $9.42CAD is a steal for a spot! (Even if you raise the price for next time.. :)
Love your work, Andrea!

ANGELA VULAR said...

YOUR POST IS WONDEREFUL. I LOVED BUYING THE BOOK FROM YOU INSTEAD OF AMAZON. THE WAY IT WAS WRAPPED AND SIGNED MADE IT SO SPECIAL. I SAVED THE PAPER AND THE STAMPS. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE CARE YOU GIVE IN PACKAGING YOUR BOOK AND ZINES.
THANK YOU,
ANGELA